SEE GOVERNOR'S SCHOOL IN ACTION
Visual Artdrive success
Choral Musicdrive success
VISIT OUR YOUTUBE PAGE TO SEE MORE
WhAT IS GOVERNOR'S SCHOOL?
The North Carolina Governor's School is a 4-week summer residential program for gifted and talented high school students, integrating academic disciplines, the arts, and unique courses on each of two campuses. The curriculum focuses on the exploration of the most recent ideas and concepts in each discipline, and does not involve credit, tests, or grades.
The North Carolina Governor's School is the nation’s oldest statewide summer residential program for gifted high school students. The program, which is open to rising seniors only, with exceptions made for rising juniors in selected performing/visual arts areas, is located on two campuses of up to 400 students each. The program is administered by the Public Schools of North Carolina, the State Board of Education, and the Department of Public Instruction through the Division of Advanced Learning and Gifted Education. A Board of Governors, appointed by the State Board of Education, acts as an advisory body.
Governor’s School offers amazing educational opportunities to selected students in ten different academics and arts disciplines. Each student’s chosen discipline becomes their Area I class. Select Area I from the menu on the right to find descriptions of each focus area. All Governor's School students also take interdisciplinary classes, Area II and Area II. The descriptions of Areas I, II, and III provide an idea of what students can expect in their classes at Governor's School. Campus life, guest speakers, elective seminars, and campus-wide activities also contribute to the fullness of this robust and unique program, profoundly impacting the lives and education of hundreds of North Carolina’s bright high school students every summer.
Some actual quotes from our attendees:
- "It’s a fantastic opportunity to expand your knowledge and focus on learning in an area you care about, living in an environment in which learning is not required, but encouraged and enjoyed. While school’s strict expectations and rigid nature can be suffocating, the Governor’s School atmosphere is light and elicits natural growth.”
- "I wish I could do this every summer, but maybe that's what makes it so special. We can't stay here forever, but the experience will certainly stay within all of us long after we leave. The world is a much happier place at GS."
- "Governor’s School is the best venture I have ever taken part in. You’re surrounded by wonderful and intelligent people and staff who make you strive to be a better and more complete person. The curriculum is challenging and will give you even more of a thirst for knowledge.”
- “Too good to be true, but somehow it’s real!”
- "A lot of places will say they offer 'the best summer ever,' but Governor's School is the one place that lives up to that statement! From exciting and thought-provoking electives, to entertaining and enlightening presentations and performances, the lovely Fellows, staff, and instructors shape our experience. Without experiencing the pressure of grades and rankings, no one person is better than the other. We all continue to grow at Governor's School, and if there's one thing this program has taught us, it's that we will never stop learning! I came in wondering I was good enough, and now I leave with a new-found sense of who I am and what I stand for. Governor's School has made an impact on my life, and it will continue to make an impact on others for years to come."
AREA I DISCIPLINES:
The academic disciplines include:
- Natural Science
- Social Science
The arts disciplines include:
- Choral Music
- Instrumental Music
- Visual Art
The Governor’s School occurs on two college campuses during our four week session.
• Governor’s School East
• Governor’s School West