NC Governor's School 2020 Cancellation FAQ
Will GS 2020 be rescheduled?
- The 2020 session will not be rescheduled.
Will GS offer an online experience?
- Per Tom Winton, Coordinator of the North Carolina Governor’s School at the NC Department of Public Instruction, there will not be a virtual program but options to benefit these students are still being explored by DPI including but not limited to: references to other discipline-specific summer programs that may still be functioning; sending selection certificates that can be used for upcoming college/scholarship applications; data collection, sharing and possible direct interaction with official college/university representatives (similar to the College Day events).
Will rising juniors who were admitted be automatically re-admitted for 2021?
- Yes, DPI has confirmed that rising juniors who were admitted will be guaranteed slots for the 2021 summer session, given that they attend in the same area (including the same part in choral or instrumental music).
Is there a social media page where students accepted into the GS Class of 2020 can "meet" one another and network?
- We have made a Facebook Group just for the Class of 2020. If you were admitted, you can request to join.
With GS cancelled, will Alumni Day be rescheduled for later in the year?
- We are considering some new online ways to engage for 2020 and are making plans for an extra amazing Alumni Day in 2021. We hope to have exciting updates for you soon.
Are the students who were admitted to GS 2020 considered "alumni"?
- The admitted class of 2020 will be considered alumni, and be eligible to become registered alumni.
- The Class of 2020 will not be required to register in order to attend any events held during 2020.
What are the benefits of being an Alumni?
- Alumni engage in a special Facebook group sharing memories, discussion, and opportunities. Registration includes eligibility to attend future Alumni Days and other Alumni events. Previous Lifetime Members of the former NC Governor’s School Alumni Association are automatically registered alumni. You can become a registered Alumni today on our website.
What is the Foundation going to do with donations received this year, since there is no GS?
- We are working with DPI to try to make it so that the rising juniors who have been given automatic admission for 2021 can be in addition to the typical class size. We also anticipate higher demand for scholarships in 2021 due to the economic impact of the pandemic. Also due to the economic impact we expect lower fundraising in the next year, so we plan to roll funds over to 2021 to account for that shift. All of this is in addition to our consistent use of funds to improve the quality of and access to Governor's School. Alternatively, and at your direction, we could remit those donations back to you.
We will continue to share additional updates as they become available!